Monday, February 28, 2011

Why Rio?

•••

WHY RIO?
Rio is the most beautiful city in the world. Not only that, but because it's incredibly scenic, has the most fantastic atmosphere – and because Brazilians have a real joi de vivre about them. I also love the food and the cocktails. If I had to choose another city in the world to live in, it would be Rio.

ANYTHING SPECIAL I SHOULD PACK?
Your coolest bikini, a large hat, a camera to take some photographs from the top of the Corcovado – and a big smile and a party attitude.

WHAT'S THE FIRST THING YOU DO?
Go down to Copacabana Beach. There's a heck of a buzz about that part of town – everybody knows Copacabana and not just from the Barry Manilow song. I love to walk down the beach and take in the amazing views.

WHERE DO YOU STAY?
The last time I was there I stayed at a lovely 2 BR apartment in Copacabana and I truly enjoyed staying there with my 2 friends from the East Coast. I thoroughly recommend it. Give Godi, the manager a call - 55 21 8204 0470.

WHERE WOULD YOU MEET FRIENDS FOR A DRINK?
I'd probably be flash and go to have a cocktail or a caipirinha at the Copacabana Palace Hotel (2548 7070; www.copacabanapalace.com), which has all those associations with the "Rat Pack" and still exudes that "Copacabana glamour". You might even spot a film star.

WHICH IS THE BEST PLACE FOR LUNCH?
I'd go to one of the big churrascos like Porcão (www.porcao.com.br) – a restaurant chain – where they come around with a skewer with chunks of lovely steak, and when you've finished you put up your hand as if to say: "More please!" There's a real sense of theatre and fun to eating at such places.

AND FOR DINNER?
There is great chain of Bahian restaurants called Siri Mole (2267 0894; www.sirimole.com.br), one is in the Copacabana area. They make these great moquecas – and the Prawn Muquele is just delicious. I'd go back there and eat it every day if I could.

WHERE WOULD YOU SEND A FIRST-TIME VISITOR?
You've got to go up to the Corcovado, one of the city's two iconic landmarks – the other, of course, being the Sugar Loaf. They might be touristy, but the view from the top of the Corcovado, in particular, is incredible. And then go down to the beach and check out the beautiful people. It's a city for sitting and watching and lounging.

WHAT SHOULD I BRING HOME?
Havaianas flip flops, a sarong, or maybe a bikini. They do "beach" incredibly well, better than anywhere else in the world. So if you want funky beachwear, Rio's the place. You could also get some leatherware or jewellery from the "hippy market" – or a bottle of cachaca.

•••

No comments:

Post a Comment